Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Dancing SOLMC#2


Dancing


“Mom I’m scared.”
“Don't be, you should  be excited.”
“But there’s so many people!”


We were at my uncle’s wedding and my mom and I had been taking dance classes for this occasion and even though we had become pretty much pros at it, I had developed the biggest case of stage fright. Ever. Now I was young, like 2011 young, so at this moment, I’m about seven and also terrified out of my mind. The way we have it is that my mom will dance to two songs and I come in, a complete surprise to everyone at the last song. So my mom goes up on stage and starts her dance while I watch getting ready for my entrance.


I hear the cue,


I step onto the stage,


Applause erupts,


And I dance.

I was so scared, being in front of everyone, all of my family, knowing if I messed up I’d lose complete faith in myself and probably rush offstage sobbing. I had put all of this stupid pressure on myself and what I didn’t realize is that my face, was frozen. no emotion. No smile. No lip-synching. Nothing. Just me.


12 comments:

  1. Very cool slice. I felt like I was at the wedding as I was reading this. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you ended this slice! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was transported to the moment. That fear and anxiety of stage fright is so well displayed here! The last few lines are short and powerful! I'm also left wondering how it went and if you felt it was successful despite your fears?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad it was over and I was also proud because everyone congratulated me after it was done. I also really never wanted to get on a stage again, because I thought I was horrible. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was at the time and I have gotten on stage multiple times after, although none were to dance.

      Delete
  4. Nice job getting through the stage fright!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job getting through the stage fright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is really descriptive and does a good job of setting the scene. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got over your stage fright and can perform and sing now! It's so funny that you had absolutely no facial expression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! i totally know how it feels to be onstage and be like uh-oh! and you described it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! i totally know how it feels to be onstage and be like uh-oh! and you described it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of you for doing this. It was such a special moment to have shared the stage with you!

    ReplyDelete

"Bucky?"
"Who the hell's Bucky?"